Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Portland Historics! All of the on-track action!


Here it is, the MONSTER post about the Portland Historic races from July 10th-12th! I'm going to upload a lot of pictures, but I literally took over 400 so if you see any cars you'd like more shots of, please ask and I will post them up! Anyways, John and I attended on Sunday (race day) and stayed for all of the on track action. I will try to bring you as much track action as I can. We also walked around the paddock for hours and shot nearly everything. I'm not real clear on what every car is, so bear with me! This post is all of the on-track action. I will post the paddock pictures in another post tonight. Here we go:

Porsche 904 being chased by a Martini liveried 911

Three B/P and Trans Am Mustangs rumbling through the chicane at PIR. The white ones are '65 Shelby GT350's and the yellow one is a Terilingua '67 Mustang Coupe. They sounded amazing!

Some small-bore Sports Racer

Triumph GT6

Ex-F1 car that sounded wicked!

The main event! Toyota GTP Prototype, Porsche 962, and a real ex-Can Am car that I'm told is a "frisbee".

And this is what happened on the first lap right in front of us! The Cam Am survived unscathed.

It's not often I catch a spin in action. Couple of Greenwood Corvette's and an Acura/Spice racer.

The other Porsche 962 LeMans GTP car.

Unfortunately one of the Mazda rotary IMSA cars blew a coolant seal and retired early. As a rotary owner this saddened me.

I did get some cool shots of it though! This is a pre-767/787 car that uses a naturally-aspirated 2-rotor, like my slow butt RX-7. They were just very, very light.

This is how the race finished. The 962 couldn't get around the Toyota, but it wasn't for lack of trying! They put on a great show. Also the Can Am that spun passed the field and wound up 3rd, right up these two's tailpipes!

Don't be fooled, this is the cool-down lap.

There were some FULL fields in some of the classes! Makes for some awesome racing!

The real NART Ferrari 512 as driven by Chinetti back in '70! I was in love with this car!

Supposedly this car was the camera car in the classic Steve McQueen movie LeMans.

Another formula car.

March Formula Atlantic, it was FAST!

A classic Alfa Romeo. Loved these!

I told you I loved the Alfa's.

Really, really loved the Alfa's...

The fields were huge!

Which caused some spins... I didn't see any contact and only saw one car with damage all day. These guys and gals know how to drive without risking the priceless cars.

It's just not vintage racing without an original MINI!

I think this is an Eagle-Westlake.

Shelby GT-350R on track.

And it's sister car through the chicane.

We were surprised with an autocross happening in the infield pits! Just a note to the organizers if you see this: Put the word out! I haven't missed an autocross at PIR by any club in the last two years and had no idea this was going on. Officials at the event didn't even have information!

A C1 Corvette chasing a classic Porsche 911.

Lotus Cortina, TVR, and BRE Datsun 510.

That's a lot of horsepower!

This 3rd Gen Camaro Trans Am car was my hero of the event. The driver was absolutely getting it during practice. You could hear it all the way around the track and it was aural magic.

Porsche 356 and a GTB

BRE Datsun 510!

Until next time! (Stay tuned, paddock pics coming up next)

No comments:

Post a Comment